Power issues

Thruster

Hi There,

Which set is it specifically?

A long time ago some 4-car digital powerbases had issues.

Do you also check that the tabs on the rails are tight? They work loose a lot...

Have you tried making a smallest, simplest oval and adding pieces unto the power fails?

Thanks for replying this is a 6 car digital, a multi meter tester says full track has connectivity but I can't tell the voltage in the dead spots, sometimes the multi meter shuts it off completely,  I'm considering buying a second transformer so I can race 4 anyway but is it worthwhile soldering tracks together for a more consistent current, any advice would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I think most power related issues on scalextric come from poor track connections. Booster leads will help for the occasional dead spot that you can't otherwise rectify. On the size of track you mention , one transformer should be fine for up to 4 cars.

I would sit down one evening and give all the track connections a really good clean, the use of a dremel with a wire brush will help speed it up the cleaning process. The tricky bit is the female part of the connections as that rarely gets touched and so can just get worse with time. a dremel with a suitable bit may help get it clean faster. As long as the track connections are in poor condition you will have power problems that no amount of power will overcome.

Do not solder the track ends. The metal needs to expand and contract at a different rates to the plastic. For permanent layouts soldering wires links to the tracks on the underside is the way to go as this allows the connections to move through temperature change.

Archived