M Menu
b 0 Items s

SARC Pro and Analogue Cars

Scaley

12 posts

I'm an avid collector of vintage scalextric cars..got over 100..the arc pro is hopeless with analog cars. I would advise not to get it and to get the arc one which works great

gorp

608 posts

from what have read the theory is the regulated dc that is running arc pro affects different kinds of motors differently and causes the humming

my scaly analog are ok but the strombeckers sing - can live with it here since digital is primary use

but wonder if glad analog would quiet them since is run under digital power  - will have to test that sometime

cars must have black guides to be counted by arc pro lapcounter

with powerbase in front of you and powerbase track behind,  car must pass right to left to be counted

since running digital and analog without app,  just use standard discontinued scaly analog lap counter here - got off ebay - guide color does not matter but believe direction , right to left does

to clear digital lane changers on analog just run digital toy around couple times in opposite direction on both analog lanes

Andy P.

1557 posts

Community Moderator

We have  been using ARC AIR with analog for over a year with great success. (which is essentially what an analog ARC PRO is) .

We use the App at all times though.

Scaley

12 posts

Hi Gorp....thanks for replying...

what do you mean by "black guides"...are you referring to the plastic fin that goes into the slot?..all my cars have black fins. 

gorp

608 posts

your black fins are black guide shoes aka guides

saw somone just posted that arc air also hums

do know arc one does not hum

Scaley

12 posts

I just reinstalled my old Arc-One on my custom track. Much better...simply put, DO NOT get the Arc-Pro if you run analog cars, especially vintage ones. I love Scalextric..but the Arc-Pro is useless for me. Analog fans stay away from this unit! I also advise Hornby to put a warning on the box that states this power base is not for analog cars.

Andy P.

1557 posts

Community Moderator

Begs the question what advantage you see in using ARC ONE over ARC AIR?

ARC AIR is the ultimate in analog racing and ARC PRO includes ARC AIR plus if you desire digital lane changing and a few features.

I have both ARC ONE and ARC AIR and I find ARC AIR vadstly superior and well worth the money,

Scaley

12 posts

Hi Andy...

I got the arc-pro because it was supposed to be the latest and greatest. I have not tested an arc-air but now I am hesitant to do so. As I have said before, the Arc-pro is not compatible at all with analog and vintage cars...all my cars have a high pitched hum which is intolerable (I gave over 100 cars..all scalextric). The cars also do not register laps consistently (they all have black ghides) and lastly the contrillers are "twitchy".

also..I have hooked up my old arc-one back to my track..works flawlessly..love it. Plus it has great response time between the controllers and cars and I can easily adjust the speed for the little ones.  No humming and keeps track of laps acuraltely. Only negative is they are wired To base. This is an awesome product!! Especially for the collector.

I am hoping Hornby AMerica does the right thing And credit my card..as I have returned the arc-pro over 4 weeks ago. Still have seen no credit on my card..:(

I am very hesitant to try the Arc-air. Don't want to go thru the same nightmare as I did with the arc-pro.

cheers,

Scaly.

Dr_C

273 posts

Hi there, I have an ARC AIR and an ARC PRO. From my investigations, the ARC AIR uses a transistor as a simple analog device hence works extremely well with both old and new analog cars as well as digital cars when running in analog mode. Meanwhile the ARC PRO uses a technique known as pulse width modulation (PWM) for its analog mode. This varies the time duration of full voltage pulses in order to adjust power to the motor. There are good reasons for using this technique as the same output circuits can be used for both digital and analog. This works very well in most cases. So basically... the two bases use completely different techiques to achieve analog control.

My suggestion would be to give the ARC AIR a chance... I just tried mine with a 1960’s DB4 and all seemed good ... except for the excessive tyre skid because I was using the wrong type of track... and, of course, the white 1960’s guide pins don’t trigger the lap sensors...

Scaley

12 posts

Just a quick update...

I want to say a special thankyou to the good folks at scalextric for trying to help me with the arc-pro. Also, they refunded my money promptly when I returned the arc-pro.

I am still using my arc-one...absolutely love it..great product. Best feature is the ability to control the speed with the controllers for kids. Also, its very simple to use.

Thanks,too, for everyone here for giving me advise and help.

Cheers,

Scaley.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Scalextric Forum is intended for discussion of slot-car racing. Primarily, a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Scalextric Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other slot-car brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Scalextric Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Scalextric Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product