M Menu
b 0 Items s

SWhy does nowhere have stock of C8515?

Twigman

91 posts

All the shops (including Scalextric.com) seem to have NO stock of C8515 ships.

Why?

Isn't this Scalextric's most popular product?

Seems like Scalextric's priorities are all wrong.

alan_west

26 posts

There's some stuff on this in other places - I think on this forum. It seems the chip changed (with new packaging, unchanged ref no) and has improved performance. This is good news! Then, from a supply point of view I would guess that the forecast didn't consider roll out of Arc Pro and increased demand...meaning they sold out before next deliveries due. VERY frustrating indeed and actually resulting in a couple of missed purchases for sure from me...

woodcote

783 posts

A lot of online stores in the UK are sold out, although my local Scalextric stockist (no website) had a box of them on the shelves the other week. There are some available at Jadlams for £3 more than RRP, a 20% price hike. They are still available in the US Scalextric store and with Scalextric retailers in North America. It is definitely worth visiting, phoning or emailing your local Scalextric stockist, especially if they don't have an online store. The list is here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/stockists/

The EasyFit Digital Plug is listed on the UK Scalextric website as 'Expected March 2018' - that's next month.

I don't know about the C8515 being Scalextric's most popular product. I know excess stock has been heavily discounted in the past, so that suggests it hasn't always sold well. The digital plug is now being produced in a new version (rev H). The new version appeared last autumn in relatively small numbers and was snapped up by enthusiasts keen to try out the upgrade. Then ARC Pro came out in November and sold very well, encouraging plenty of people to try digital and buy chips to upgrade their analogue cars. That combination of modest initial stock levels and bigger than expected demand from old and new digital racers has probably been the reason for the scarcity of the chips in the UK, especially online.

The way I see it, Hornby's priority is the sustainable development of all their popular brands in what is a precarious market. There is plenty in the financial and trade press about their efforts to turn things round. If that means smaller production runs and a more organised warehouse less full of unsold stock, then I think we're going to have to accept that stuff like the chips and the ARC Pro controllers might go out of stock from time to time. Both of those shortages are symptoms of the success of ARC Pro before Christmas and that has to be really good news for Scalextric and everyone who loves our hobby Smile

Twigman

91 posts

Can i also have a moan about C8212 barrier sets not being in stock for a very long time resulting in online sellers asking twice RRP for secondhand used sets.

Are Scalextric ever going to restock them?

Twigman

91 posts

I did have a problem with one of the 'RevH' chips I bought in Oct/nov....the bulb ground away and ceased to be seen because it stuck out too far from the cover in one of my Z4s. The nice people at Scalextric sent me a slightly modified 'RevG' as a replacement which works well.

I'm hoping the lack of stock means they are 'fixing' this issue and the 'new' chips will have LEDs that don't stick out so far?

woodcote

783 posts

@Twigman

Can i also have a moan about C8212 barrier sets not being in stock for a very long time resulting in online sellers asking twice RRP for secondhand used sets.

Are Scalextric ever going to restock them?

You could email via the contact page. My experience is that someone has always got back to me pretty quick - maybe not with the answer I was hoping for, but with a straight and honest reply Smile

My hunch is that there are no plans to produce those barrier sets any more. As you say, they haven't been in stock for a long time, but I might be wrong... A quick Google search shows there are still some with one or two stockists at RRP and below. Maybe more with small local shops that don't have online stores.

HowlinDawg

19 posts

@woodcote

Discontinuing the barrier sets would be a real disapointment.

They're more suitable for use on raised sections and for those of us with young children than the border kits.

gorp

611 posts

Found that the cheap 1/43 artin like sets had barriers that fit.

(appeared all the different brands were made by same company in hk)

Used to find them used at goodwill and other charity shops in throwaway sets when looking only for cars.

speaking of shortages

does not appear to be one in states for 8515 chip and arc pro and wifi controllers

Twigman

91 posts

Managed to pick up 4 C8212 barrier sets (NOS) for less than RRP :)

Still seems to be a total lack of C8515 chips out there though.

Why is there a shortage? What's the point of pushing new digital sets if the wherewithall to convert DPR cars isn't available?

woodcote

783 posts

Try MRE for C8515s here. Don't know exactly how many they have, but they have some in stock. There will be a new shipment of chips arriving in the UK sometime this month. They can be pre-ordered most places and you'll have them straight away.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Scalextric Forum is intended for discussion of slot-car racing. Primarily, a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Scalextric Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other slot-car brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Scalextric Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Scalextric Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product