roadracer

32 posts

Hi .

Has any one chipped a Jaguar E type ?.

cheers Martin 

martin

woodcote

1058 posts

Hi Martin - the Jaguar E-Type is not Digital Plug Ready (DPR) so will require a C7005 Retro-Fit chip soldered in.

A good strategy with the front-engined cars like the E-Type is to attach the chip to the body on one side of the cockpit. This will need some of the cockpit removed and the large cylindrical capacitor on the chip will need to sit just in front of the cockpit. There is room to place the LED between the end of the guide blade and the motor - about 6-8mm behind the end of the guide blade is perfect.

In some of the wider front-engined cars (like the Corvette L88), there is room to fit the chip vertically in the chassis alongside the motor. Be sure to insulate the chip from the metal motor can (I usually tuck my C7005 chip inside a piece of wide diameter heatshrink tubing, but not heated...). I think the E-Type chassis is a little too narrow for the chip to fit in the chassis there, but you could try and it will save modifying the cockpit.

Good luck!

Andy Player

Andy P.

1854 posts

Community Moderator

A guy on Slotracer.online called Greg Kenny (GregK) has chipped hundreds of cars many much more tricky than the E-Type.

If you are unsure look up his thread about the trials and tribulations of chipping and there should be some good examples...

Dr_C

309 posts

I did precisely as Woodcote describes and was happy with the result...

C

https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22159&p=2229175

Russcles

7 posts

Hi. I put the C8516 chip in a new F1 car that I bought on Amazon.ca. (Scalextric Blue Wings F1)

It ran fine when I tested it. I noticed that the car drifted a bit so using sandpaper I decided to true up the tires. Whilst holding the car, applying power to the controller and gently easing the rear tires down on the sandpaper the car suddenly stopped working. I put the analogue piece back in and am able to run the car in analogue. It seems I may have blown the C8516 chip. Can someone please enlighten me as to what I've done wrong? 

woodcote

1058 posts

Truing the tyres with a digital chip installed is never a good idea. The friction of tyres on sandpaper requires more power to the motor. As many of the chips components are rated at 1 amp, when the current goes above that, the components fail. Under normal running conditions, a Scalextric car will only draw around 0.25 amps. Truing, holding the car down or bulldozing through a blocked track can all cause a chip to fail. I would always recommend removing the chip before truing tyres - or removing the axle and use a Tire Razor type of device.

Greg (see details above) does repair chips. He might also be able to direct you to a similar service in the US.

Andy Player

Andy P.

1854 posts

Community Moderator

If you can, get a cheap chassis to use as a "mule" that you can pop the rear axle into for most cars and only use the mule (and its motor) for truing.

Russcles

7 posts

@woodcote

Truing the tyres with a digital chip installed is never a good idea. The friction of tyres on sandpaper requires more power to the motor. As many of the chips components are rated at 1 amp, when the current goes above that, the components fail. Under normal running conditions, a Scalextric car will only draw around 0.25 amps. Truing, holding the car down or bulldozing through a blocked track can all cause a chip to fail. I would always recommend removing the chip before truing tyres - or removing the axle and use a Tire Razor type of device.

Greg (see details above) does repair chips. He might also be able to direct you to a similar service in the US.

Canadian here.....just sayin...lol

Andy P.

1854 posts

Community Moderator

No way, eh?

Russcles

7 posts

@Andy P.

No way, eh?

hahaha...eh.

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Scalextric Forum is intended for discussion of slot-car racing. Primarily, a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Scalextric Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other slot-car brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Scalextric Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Scalextric Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product