Store: Scalextric
Scalextric US English $
M Menu
b 0 Items s

SArc air one lane "shorting"

@Dr_C

Also wondering... if you look at Q1, Q3, Q7 and Q8 under a magnifying glass... do any show any signs of overheating or damage?

C

I don't see any over heating on the parts you indicated. Pictures awaiting approval of the back of the board.

Dr_C

296 posts

Looking forward to reviewing the pcb photos - hoping we can find a solution for you,

C

@Dr_C

hi MichaelDrago,

a photo of the underside of the circuit board showing the region around where the 4 pin socket is soldered would help too please... ie the socket which carries power to the two lanes. Many thanks...

C

woodcote

785 posts

I will leave Dr_C and his expert eye to comment on the pictures. However, just in case there is no evidence of an obvious PCB fault, can I suggest a couple of things to check, just for completeness. Neither make much logical sense, but please bear with me :-)

1) I don’t think we had confirmation that the same problem happens when not using the app. Or, if it does, how the problem shows up without the error message in the app. I have seen this error message when there is not a short - typically when I power down the base with the app still running. So I think this worth a try, even if things seem to be working okay with the track power disconnected. Could you also tell us what smart device and version of the app you are using.

2) Neither have we had confirmation that you have swapped the controllers to see if the issue follows the controllers. With wired controllers, this would be an important problem-solving step. With wireless, it shouldn’t make any difference, but I would still try this to ensure there is no strange controller fault that we haven’t seen yet...

As I said, both are clutching at straws somewhat, but worth doing for completeness and removing any doubts. They might also help with looking at the PCB.

Dr_C

296 posts

Interesting... the photos do appear to show a small flek of shiney metallic debris between pins 3 and 4 of the track power socket. I am using the convention that the square pad is pin 1. Pin 3 is ground and pin 4 is PWM power for one of the lanes. This could be the problem... although normally the green solder mask would prevent a short circuit for this type of debris... but then perhaps the problem was caused by a pin hole in the masking material... maybe...

Would be useful to see if the flek can be removed using something insulating and soft such as a wooden cocktail stick. But dont press too hard as you could damage the electronic tracks underneath.

Two questions...

1/ do you have a digital test meter.

2/ if you trace the faulty lane back to this socket, does this lane correspond to pins 3 and 4?

C

Dr_C

296 posts

Just to add clarity... the flek of debris is located precisely where, if the solder mask was missing... an electrical short would result between ground and the PWM track output.  This would lead to a current overload whenever the corresponding throttle controller is pressed... sound familar?

C

I saw what you were referring to. With a civilcoc stuck it feel away with no pressure.

No difference. Still getting the error on that lane, even with the plug to the lanes not plugged into the connector. So that lane, which would be the left side of the center connector soldier on the middle picture, shows an over load error when the trigger for that lane is depressed.

Removing that speck did not change it. I see no other specks.

I do have and understand the use of a digital meter.

@Dr_C

Just to add clarity... the flek of debris is located precisely where, if the solder mask was missing... an electrical short would result between ground and the PWM track output.  This would lead to a current overload whenever the corresponding throttle controller is pressed... sound familar?

C

I saw what you were referring to. With a civilcoc stuck it feel away with no pressure.

No difference. Still getting the error on that lane, even with the plug to the lanes not plugged into the connector. So that lane, which would be the left side of the center connector soldier on the middle picture, shows an over load error when the trigger for that lane is depressed.

Removing that speck did not change it. I see no other specks.

I do have and understand the use of a digital meter.

@Dr_C

C

I can also hear the short on the board. When they control is triggered, there is a momentary high pitched buzz. More I do not get with the working control.

It's only for a second and does not continue if there trigger is held.

Dr_C

296 posts

OK, I suggest the following next steps...

1/ please visually inspect the area where you removed the flek... is there any chance the copper track is visibly bridging between pin 3 and pin 4? Another photo would help ifpossible please?

2/ with the 15V power supply completed disconnected, and with the four pin track power plug also removed please take five measurements with the meter set to the lowest resistance measurement setting. Please measure resistance between pins 1 and 2 - then again with the probes reversed. The please measure resistance between pins 4 and 3 - then again with the probe pins reversed. Finally measure the resistance of the probe leads by touching the two probe tips together directly.

This data should help with final pin-pointing ofthe problem...

I still suspect the site of the flek of debris I am sure together we can get this powerbase back into full working order... which continent do you live in?

C

Please create an account or login to reply.

Forum Rules

• The Scalextric Forum is intended for discussion of slot-car racing. Primarily, a place for newcomers to ask questions and seek assistance from like-minded individuals, the Scalextric Forum offers users the chance to join an active and friendly community.
  • Discussion of other slot-car brands is allowed, however, active promotion or advertising of our competitors is not permitted.
  • Please keep in mind that the Scalextric Forum is a publicly viewable space and you should never post personal information (including email addresses).
  • While every effort is made to contact you before any censorship, we reserve the right to amend or remove any content without explanation.
  • All customer service enquiries should be directed to Scalextric Customer Services.

Useful Links

Forum Guidelines

Membership Restricted Product