I re read all the above and to make sure I hadn't done anything wrong or made incorrect assumptions.
My original set up ( have a permanent layout) with the old App works fine all cars are paired to their respective controllers
What I had to do was ignore the old app completely luckily I hadn't added all my garage (extensive) on the old app as it seems I have to that again on the new app.
I started from scratch re installed the new app on my IPad, re did everything re associated (paired) the cars with controllers and tried again and all now seems fine.
The error I made was assume that any associations and pairing used on the old app would automatically transfer to the new app, clearly operator error not issues with the new app
We are due a race meet with the new app in a few days so will be able to give the new app a proper road test.
Thanks for all your comments and help